Your child’s dental health is very important. Developing a positive relationship with us is crucial for long term dental health. Your child’s first visit should occur at about 1 year. We appoint you and your child on your cleaning appointment.
At the joint appointment, your child will sit in the chair and become comfortable with the dentist and hygienist touching their teeth and looking in their mouth. Your child may not get their teeth cleaned. We will be able to educate you and your child on your roles in maintaining good dental health. When your child is confident, they will receive their own appointment.
Visit our Patient Education Center for “Videos for Kids” to view fun cartoons which help young patients understand dental services and prepare them for their visit.
Cleaning & Check-up Appointments
Goals for Best Oral Health
- Have a positive first appointment.
- Both parent and child come together at the adult’s appointment.
- Introduce your child to dentistry – “Tell-Show-Do” appointments.
- The first appointment helps show children what we are going to do and determine if they are able to do it. If your child allows us, will perform their preventive care at this appointment.
- We use all of your child’s senses (sight, touch, smell, sound, feel) to help them become familiar with the procedure.
- During the second appointment we will actually do the preventive care procedure.
- While, it takes longer, this method prepares your child for a positive dental experience and a lifetime of dental health
Visit Apex Dental Group’s Patient Education Center to find cartoon videos of Dudley’s Dentist Adventures to get children to be more comfortable with going to the dentist.
See our Patient Education Center for videos and more on this topic.
How we monitor your child's dental development?
- During each dental examination we closely monitor crooked teeth.
- We detect improper oral hygiene and inquire about sugar intake to prevent early decay and tooth loss.
- We use detection technology tools such as periodic Bitewing X-rays to look between teeth for cavities and Panoramic x-rays to evaluate overall growth, development, and missing teeth.
- When a situation warrants, we perform Simple extractions sometimes we remove primary (baby) teeth that fail to come out on their own.
- We watch for proper adult tooth eruption.
- We make minor cross bite corrections.
- A “W” arch will expand the upper jaw bone. Other upper jaw expansion devices.
- We take measures to maintain space for future teeth.
- We use Band and Loop techniques for early loss of individual teeth.
- Lower Lingual Arch is used for early loss of multiple teeth.
We make an appropriate and timely referral to an orthodontist when your child is ready.
Fillings & Restorations
What do you offer for restoring a child's primary tooth?
- Stainless steel crowns
- Tooth colored fillings
- Pulpotomy – nerve treatment for children
A pulpotomy is needed if a cavity is deep and reaches the tooth pulp. If you suspect infection, contact us as soon as possible so it doesn’t infect other nearby teeth. This “baby root canal” will preserve your child’s tooth until the permanent tooth comes in.
- Extractions (tooth removal)
Visit the Patient Information page and review the Comfort Measures we use to reduce anxiety and pain for children.
Accepting New Patients • Contact Us Today!
Request by Email